• To democratize education
• To reach the unreached
• To enable the students to pursue higher education
• To strive for the all round development of students
• To develop suitable patterns of education for providing access to students towards
• To conduct teaching and research in various disciplines
• To make efforts to introduce the ancient Indian heritage and traditional knowledge
to the common people
• To provide easy access to education at different levels for large segments of
the society, especially to the disadvantaged groups
• To introduce an innovative non-formal system of higher education suited to the
needs of the society
• To provide quality education with affordable fee.
Maharashtra Vidyapeeth entered in to the field of Distance Education
in 1985 with the establishment of Faculty of Distance Education (FDE). B.A. (Visharad)
Social Sciences was the only programme on offer till 2000.
Though Tilak Maharashtra Vidyapeeth was aware of the network
and system of Distance Education in India and the world around, it was in the year
1991, when FDE appeared in the Directory of Distance Education in India, published
by Association of Indian University (AIU) and Commonwealth of Learning (COL), FDE
became part and parcel of this network. FDE started interacting with other Open
and Distance learning Institutions in India, which gave it an impetus for its development.
The Development assistance provided by Distance Education
Council (DEC) IGNOU, New Delhi, in the 9th Plan initiated a new stage of development
in the history of FDE. With financial assistance received from DEC in IXth and Xth
plan, many projects could be undertaken, such as Development of Study material ,
Launching of new programmes, Translations of Study material, Quality improvement
and Use of Technology .
Year of Establishment
In June 2004, Tilak Maharashtra Vidyapeeth’s FDE submitted
a proposal for the approval of programmes to Distance Education Council, New Delhi,.
After visit of the Joint Committee of UGC, DEC and AICTE,in May 2011 the Vidyapeeth
was accorded recognition for its several programmes (Letter No. F.No. DEC/TMV/PUN/MAH/2010/5348
dt. – 04-05-2011), DEB/TMV/PUNE/MAH/2013 dt - 23-Aug-2013.
Board of Studies – BOARD OF DISTANCE EDUCATION STUDIES.
Dr. Shriniwas S. Kulkarni
Head of the Department
Address for Communication
Faculty of Distance Education TMV,
Gultekadi Pune 411037.
Phone (off) 020 24266700, 24403046/ 47
* Academic and administrative premises
* Spacious class – rooms
* Well-equipped Computer Lab
* A well – equipped Library, Conference
Hall, Guest House
* Online admission system
* Web-based delivery system
* Media Center
* Language Lab
* Personalised communication
* Use of technology – Online admissions
for all programmes, online examination (partial) for B.C.A., effective use of website
to impart information
Workshops are organzied for Counselling Activities
List of Workshops, training programmes
Workshop on Audio Video Aids
Workshop on Online Admission Photos